Thursday, November 17, 2011

Holiday Crafts - Fight the Boredom

My kids are both looking forward to Thanksgiving Break.  When school started I thought I would be dreading it, but the truth is, I am so excited to have the kids home with me all day.  Obviously, most people do some traveling around Thanksgiving, but since we don't have far to go, we have a few extra days before hand to do some crazy crafting!



The idea of not having to wake up early and get ready to head off to school seems like all fun and games until they realize they have nothing to do... or at least kids seem to think that!  Mine always do!  This year, I have formulated a plan to keep them busy the day before Thanksgiving so I can get some prepping done for the family feast without the numerous "Mommy I'm bored!" complaints.  Depending on your school you may have one or two days that the kids will be home, we only get one.  I will be setting up a craft area with multiple crafts for my kids to choose from.  A good idea would be to either have a photo of the craft bundled with the materials they'll need for each one, or have one already made for them to go by.  Most kids will need a bit of instruction at first.  I usually go over how I made each craft and then they go from there.  Does it always turn out like mine??  No way.  But, kids have great imaginations and it's wise to let them take the reins and come up with some of their own ideas.  You would be surprised what they are capable of!

No comments:

Post a Comment